Public Safety Advocate
Hourly Rate: $19.00
To learn more about the experience of working at IXP directly from our employees click here to choose a video from our “About Me at IXP” series!
Position is an essential personnel position which requires working in a variety of situations including during holidays, weekends, day/evening/night shifts, and during state of emergency. Position supports a 24/7, 365-day operation. Successful candidates must be able to work all shifts and have the
flexibility to alter schedule based on departmental and operational need.
The IXP Public Safety Advocate serves as the central point of contact for visitors of the Danbury Police Department Main Lobby and provides information pertaining to police and City services. Evaluates citizen requests for services and makes arrangements for such requests. Answers telephone calls when department telephones are inaccessible and makes computer entries into CAD system. Monitors security cameras and issues visitor passes. Has primary responsibility for public traffic into secure areas of the Police Department. This position will work under the administrative supervision the 911 Director and Lead PSA/311 Manager but is often required to work with little or no direct supervision.
Qualifications and Skills
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- 2 years prior receptionist/customer service experience (customer service setting, law enforcement setting, or quasi-military organization helpful).
- Strong typing and data entry skills
- Strong computer skills including 2 years’ experience with Microsoft Office
- Bi-lingual and multi-cultural experience a plus.
- Ability to speak clearly and perform related clerical duties; ability to deal tactfully with the public;clerical aptitude; ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to accurately perform tasks and to project confidence.
- Detail oriented with good organizational and follow up skills
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to maintain professionalism in all interactions with the public with the ability to listen and communicate in a calm effective manner in all types of situations.
- Ability to think and act quickly in emergency and highly emotional situations with reason proper judgment and discretion.
- Ability to work with computers and surveillance equipment.
- Ability to work in a 24/7 environment.
- Ability to work overtime or to be called to work on short notice.
- Ability to pass a law enforcement background and security check.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate personal computers.
- Sitting and standing for extended periods of time while working at computer keyboards, monitoring a variety of public safety communications systems and completing documentation required of operations.
- Vision, specifically to include up close, distance, color and peripheral; depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information with emergency callers and public safety personnel.
- Light lifting and walking up/down stairs.
- Exposure to moderate noise.
Public Safety Advocate in Danbury, CTPlease fill out the online application below. Be sure to upload your resume and a cover letter so that we can properly consider your qualifications for the job you are interested in. You will receive an email confirmation of your application submission. Fields denoted with an asterisk(*) are required. Once you have filled out the form, please submit by pressing the Submit Job Application button at the bottom of the form.
"*" indicates required fields