The Public Safety Helpdesk Assistant, Level 1 is an entry level position supporting the operation of the City of Danbury Public Safety agencies. This position will provide support for level 1 and 2 helpdesk related requests arising from the Danbury Fire Department, Police Department, Emergency Medical Services, and the Western Connecticut 911 Communications Center. This position reports to the IXP Managing Director of Technical Solutions and is managed onsite by the Public Safety Systems Manager. The IXP IT personnel work under the direction of the Danbury Information Technology Manager. The Helpdesk Assistant will assist in day to day IT functions including but not limited to:
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Responding to helpdesk inquiries for password resets
- Workstation configurations and imaging
- Equipment pickup and removal
- Vendor communication and troubleshooting assistance
- Basic software and hardware support
- The Public Safety Helpdesk Assistant will be closely supervised and mentored with the goal of attaining proficiency in all areas of helpdesk and IT support.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Provide IT Helpdesk support.
- Provide technical assistance and support for all Public Safety IT systems, including PCs, operating systems, hardware, and software and applications.
- Communicate and work with technology vendors as needed to ensure all contracted hardware and software is maintained and supported as needed.
- Identify and escalate issues to the Public Safety Systems Manager according to escalation procedures.
- Travel up to 10 miles to out of the office site for IT troubleshooting and equipment pickup/delivery.
- Learn and follow IT procedures in IXP site and procedure documentation.
- Participate in the updating and organization of IT site and procedure documentation.
- Take initiative to become further educated in information technology and emerging trends.
- Learn and adhere to applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED and
- Working towards a degree or certifications related to Information Technology; or
- Have a minimum of two years of experience working in IT Support and/or Helpdesk Support.
- Eagerness to learn and progress.
- Knowledge of network concepts and PC operating systems.
- Ability to learn the technologies, equipment, and requirements of supporting the Danbury Public Safety community.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills.
- Possesses strong analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to accept and follow guidance and learn to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues independently.
- Ability to conduct research into IT issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
Public Safety Helpdesk Assistant, Level 1
- Sitting for extended periods of time while working at computer keyboards, monitoring a variety of public safety communications systems, and updating documentation required of IT operations.
- Must be able to get up and sit down.
- Must have good vision, specifically to include up close, distance, color and peripheral; depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to climb into confined spaces, including police vehicles on a regular basis.
- Must be able to work near large dogs, specifically police K9s.
- Must be able to hear and speak to exchange information with public safety personnel.
- Must have reliable transportation and travel within a 10-mile radius.
- Must be able to work during 24/7 emergency conditions.
- Must be able to work with sensitive confidential information.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
This entry level position will involve close supervision and mentoring by the IXP Public Safety Systems Manager with a focus on developing:
Public Safety Helpdesk Assistant, Level 2
- A full understanding of the equipment, software, network connectivity, and applications in use by Danbury public safety agencies.
- Strong knowledge of the varied users who require assistance by the helpdesk.
- Development of a cordial, professional, and respectful relationship with all helpdesk customers.
- Thoughtful execution of standard troubleshooting processes and escalation procedures as appropriate to the specific technical issue.
- A full understanding of all written Danbury and IXP processes and procedures governing the delivery of IT services at Danbury, and adherence to all such directives.
- Development of a cordial, professional, and respectful relationship with all vendors who provide IT support to Danbury public safety agencies.
- A cooperative relationship with vendors in the troubleshooting and resolution of issues.
- Steadily progressive capabilities in successfully executing tasks.
- Steadily progressive capabilities in troubleshooting issues independently.
- It is expected that the Level 1 Assistant will master all tasks and responsibilities above within 6-12 months. They may then be considered for promotion to Public Safety Helpdesk Assistant, Level 2.
This level 2 position will complete the majority of assigned IT Support tasks independently while maintaining a high level of success and high quality of work. They will perform all tasks and responsibilities identified in the Level 2 position description and will focus on:
- Demonstrating mastery of all levels of required support for deployment, monitoring, development, and maintenance of all Public Safety IT systems, including desktop PCs, mobile data terminals, operating systems, hardware, CAD interfaces, and software through the Helpdesk.
- Developing a proactive approach to IT support including the ability to recognize and report emerging issues to the Public Safety Systems Manager, and acting with initiative to prevent such issues from occurring.
- Demonstrating skill in making accurate edits and additions to written policies and procedures for approval by the IXP Public Safety Systems Manager; working to ensure all documentation remains current and adequately detailed.
- Learning CAD Admin functions.
- Demonstrating knowledge of 311 application and technology.
- Developing increased knowledge of technology utilized in public safety dispatch centers including radio systems, logging and recording, 911 and administrative telephony, mapping/GIS.
- Demonstration of strong technical knowledge of network and PC operating systems.
- Demonstration of strong technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards.
- Demonstration of strong technical knowledge of Active Directory and Group Policy.
- Increased knowledge of IT infrastructure planning and development.
It is expected that the Level 2 Assistant will master the tasks and responsibilities of the position within 12-24 months. They may then be considered for promotion to IT Support Technician