The Junior Systems Administrator is an entry level position responsible for configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of laptops and desktops at IXP’s corporate headquarters. The Junior Systems Administrator will also respond to trouble tickets submitted to the help desk system, as assigned. Tasks will include maintaining and troubleshooting IT equipment, printers, phones, software, and operating systems. The Junior Systems Administrator will be supervised by the Chief Technology Officer and will report to the Managing Director of Technical Solutions.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Learn IXP IT procedures and processes during mentoring period of six months.
- Demonstrate ability to learn and willingness to take on more complex tasks.
- Provide end user IT support for local and remote users.
- Assist in the deployment, monitoring, upgrade, and support of IT systems including desktops, operating systems, hardware, and software.
- Enter, manage and update IT support tickets in the ticketing system.
- Install, maintain, and troubleshoot Windows 10 issues.
- Image laptops and desktops.
- Perform hardware maintenance including replacement of hard drives and memory upgrades.
- Support IT on-boarding of new employees.
- Maintain inventory of IT consumables and issue replacement devices as needed.
- Update IT Asset Tracking documentation of hardware, software, and operating systems licenses.
- Configure and maintain Office 365 SharePoint site content, storage and permissions.
- Manage users and space on the corporate Dropbox account.
- Archive and verify backups of user data and email archives on termination of employees.
- Perform daily IT related administrative tasks as needed.
- The junior systems administrator will be closely supervised and mentored for a six-month period. They will be expected to attain proficiency in all areas of helpdesk and IT support within two years.
Qualifications and Skills
- Provide IT helpdesk support.
- Provide technical assistance and support for IT systems, including PCs, operating systems, hardware, and software and applications.
- Communicate and work with technology vendors as needed to ensure all contracted hardware and software is maintained and supported as needed.
- Identify and escalate issues according to escalation procedures.
- Travel up to 25 miles to remote sites for IT troubleshooting and equipment pickup/delivery.
- Learn and follow IT procedure documentation.
- Participate in the updating and organization of IT site and procedure documentation.
- Take initiative to become further educated in information technology and emerging trends.
- Learn and adhere to applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree from 2-year college or technical school; two or more years of related experience and or training in IT field; working toward a degree or certifications related to Information Technology; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in Public Safety environment a plus.
- Experience in Windows Servers a plus.
- Eagerness to learn and progress.
- Knowledge of network concepts and PC operating systems.
- Ability to learn the technologies, equipment, and requirements of supporting Public Safety IT.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others.
- Strong analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to accept and follow guidance.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues.
- Ability to conduct research into IT issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Sitting for extended periods of time while working at computer keyboards, monitoring a variety of IT systems, and updating documentation required of IT operations.
- Must be able to get up and sit down.
- Must have good vision, specifically to include up close, distance, color and peripheral; depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to work in confined spaces and manage IT racks and equipment.
- Must be able to hear and speak to exchange information with users.
- Must have reliable transportation and travel within a 25-mile radius if needed.
- Must be able to work during 24/7 emergency conditions.
- Must be able to work with sensitive confidential information.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org