The Content Specialist I will be responsible for reading and editing company communications to correct any mistakes in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and other errors. They will ensure all documents are well-written, present as a single-voice, and meet IXP Business Communications standards. Such communications will include marketing materials, white papers, proposals, technical documents, reports, letters, press releases, and other documents, as assigned. This is an entry level position that works under direction of various IXP management level staff (Administration, Sales/Marketing/Proposals, and Delivery). The Content Specialist I participates on teams that are constituted, as needed, for diverse projects. The tasks of the Content Specialist I will include:
Writing and Editing
The Content Specialist I role is primarily that of a writer and editor and thus requires excellent writing skills, reading comprehension, analytical skills, proofreading skills, knowledge of Business Writing principles, and proficiency in Microsoft Word. Creative writing ability is required.
Charts and Graphics
The Content Specialist I will assist in the production of charts and graphics. Utilizing information and general design information provided, the Content Specialist I will review and edit existing graphics, and create charts and graphics for inclusion in proposals, deliverables, internal process documents, and other company communications. Such tasks require knowledge of Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet applications, Microsoft Visio or other graphics applications, and the ability to learn the graphics tools IXP uses. Creative ability in developing charts and graphics is desired.
The Content Specialist I will assist in the development and editing of business presentations. Under management direction, the Content Specialist I will utilize Microsoft PowerPoint to proofread and edit existing presentations and develop new presentations. Knowledge of Microsoft PowerPoint or other presentation software is required.
The Content Specialist I will produce and deliver hardcopy and electronic documents that meet the requirements of the task and are nearly error free. Knowledge of printers, email, and familiarity with desktop publishing is required. Knowledge of Adobe, Nitro, or other pdf creation and editing software is required.
The Content Specialist I will store and edit files in cloud-based systems including SharePoint, Dropbox, and One Drive while adhering to company document storage and retention policies. Knowledge of such systems is required.
Under direction, the Content Specialist I will create and edit IXP announcements, news, and other official statements and post them to IXP’s social media accounts. Knowledge of the use of social media is required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Take direction from Administrative, Sales and Marketing, and Delivery Executives to develop an in-depth understanding of writing and documentation requirements for each task.
- Study existing templates and content, focusing on reusability and standardization. Utilize such documents in new content as appropriate.
- Write and edit documents while adhering to corporate standards.
- Produce documents that are nearly error-free and require no more than minor edits and modifications.
- Adhere to version and document control procedures.
- Assist in laying out writing materials for publication.
- This is an entry-level position suitable for a recent college graduate.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in English, Public Communications, or a related field is required.
- Exceptional English written communications skills.
- Experience in preparing and editing documents, and employing and enforcing business writing standards.
- Familiarity with desktop publishing.
- Ability to create and edit charts and graphics.
- Ability to create and edit presentations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Visio) or similar tools.
- Familiarity with cloud-based storage systems such as SharePoint, Dropbox, and One Drive.
- Proven ability as a self-starter, detail oriented, well organized and able to multi-task effectively.
- Dedication to producing the highest quality output in all tasks.
- Ability to work well with a variety of team structures and individuals.
- Ability to work well and effectively under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate personal computers and office equipment.
- Sitting for extended periods of time while working at a computer.
- Vision, specifically to include up close, distance, color and peripheral; depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information with team members.
- Exposure to moderate office noise.
IXP expects that the Content Specialist I will progress in a career path that includes acquisition of additional skills, development of a full understanding of IXP and its mission, and detailed knowledge of the repository of past IXP projects. The Content Specialist I will take on increasing levels of responsibility and will be provided opportunities for advancement.
When the Content Specialist I is highly proficient in all required tasks for their position, is taking initiative beyond their expected responsibilities, and is completing tasks with little or no supervision, they will be considered for promotion to Content Specialist II. It is expected that such proficiency will be gained within the first two years of service.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com