In addition to all duties of a Telecommunicator, the Center Manager is responsible for performing
administrative, technical, and supervisory work for the effective and efficient operation of the
public safety communications center. This position reports to the Regional Director, and requires
considerable independent judgment and initiative while interpreting rules and regulations to meet
standards for law enforcement, fire, and EMS agencies. This position encompasses the general
supervision over Center employees.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Performs work in accordance with established rules, regulations, and instructions from management who review work through reports, conferences, and observations of efficiency.
- Development of Center morale, team spirit and encouragement of positive attitude toward colleagues and public.
- Liaisons to law enforcement, fire, and EMS while promoting cooperation between the agencies in all matters related to the Center and other specific components.
- Develops, updates and complies with all policies and procedures relating to communications personnel and the operation of the Center as well as enforcement of any local ordinances.
- Ensures all reports/logs, geographic codes and protocols submitted by communications personnel are complete, timely and accurate.
- Maintains confidential audio and video records for law enforcement, fire, and EMS and oversee supply of recordings as requested for review and/or evidence.
- Notifies superiors of any events of extreme importance or unusual character.
- Maintains and ensures compliance with any disaster preparedness protocols.
- Participates in any emergency operation plans identified in the specific Standard Operating Procedures for the client agencies during emergencies as well as overseeing any tactical dispatch team.
- Ensures maintenance of all equipment and databases in the Center including regular interaction with vendors and oversight of all contracts.
- Ability to stay current with technology as it may pertain, assist, or be applicable to the Center.
- Promotes and maintains responsive community relations Contributes to the any client advisory meeting.
- Conducts performance evaluations of assigned employees.
- Maintains all certifications of Telecommunicators and supervisory staff.
- Recommends training for employees as appropriate.
- Addresses questions or complaints regarding the Center and conducts investigations as needed.
- Enforces department and safety rules and regulations.
- Responsible for recommendations involving discipline, selection, retention and/or termination of assigned personnel.
- Knowledge of all aspects of a communications center operation.
- Knowledge and background of emergency and routine law enforcement, fire and EMS communications and dispatching procedures.
- Knowledge of communication facilities, equipment and management practices as they pertain to the operation of a public safety communications center.
- Knowledge of technology systems utilized by a public safety communications center.
- Hands on ability relative to the performance of the dispatch function. The position requires a calm, poised individual with excellent customer service skills. The ability to handle telephone, radio and walk in traffic is essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication and excellent typing skills. Candidates are required to have exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Supervisory skills and ability relative to personnel matters, including performance evaluation and disciplinary procedures.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of the Federal Communications Commissions (FCC) as they pertain to the operation of a public safety communications center.
- Knowledge of accepted call handling practices for public safety call-takers with an emphasis on professionalism and high level of customer service.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of radio communications as well as the proper policies and procedures used in public safety dispatching with an emphasis on professionalism and high level of customer service.
- Knowledge of agency’s geographical service areas and relationship/location of public safety responders.
- Knowledge of operational needs of public safety responders.
- Knowledge of National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS) as it relates to a public safety communications center.
- Work independently with minimal supervision.
- Supervise and evaluate subordinate personnel.
- Assist with coordination of training for subordinate staff.
- Coordinate multiple priorities and completing demands on time.
- Communicate effectively and professionally, both orally and in writing.
- Work collaboratively and cooperatively with co-workers and personnel from customer agencies.
- Present ideas and recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Be reliable, dependable and report for work on a consistent basis.
- Required Qualifications and Skills
- Four (4) years of practical working knowledge and paid experience in public safety
- communications (preferred)
- Work involves supervisory tasks with considerable independent judgment, analysis and
- Required to work various shifts, be flexible in hours of attendance including weekends and may be called to duty anytime as emergency response to critical incidents involving the Center or its staff.
- Responsible for the safety and security of all audio and video recorded data.
- Constant contact with the public, businesses and other city agencies through telephone, in person, facsimile, radio and computer.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate personal computers.
- Sitting for extended periods of time while working at computer keyboards, monitoring a variety of public safety communications systems and completing documentation required of operations.
- Vision, specifically to include up close, distance, color and peripheral; depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information with emergency callers and public safety personnel.
- Exposure to moderate noise.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com